Our 2020 #SBHGivesBack recipient was United Way of Central Alabama. While we highlighted UWCA , we wanted to take this year to highlight some of their impact – the first of which is the program Help Me Grow Alabama.
Help Me Grow Alabama is a program of the Alabama Partnership for Children as an affiliate of the Help Me Grow National Network.
Help Me Grow Alabama is funded by the Alabama Department of Early Childhood Education through the Preschool Development Grant, the Alabama Department of Human Resources, and the Alabama Department of Mental Health through a Project LAUNCH Grant from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Association. In addition, Help Me Grow Alabama is supported by an AmeriCorps State Grant from the Corporation for National and Community Service provided by The Governor’s Office of Volunteer Services.
Help Me Grow connects families to health and developmental resources so children (birth to age eight) can start school healthy and ready to succeed. With this proven model, HMG helps to ensure all children to have the best possible start in life.
- Making the Connection – receive calls regarding a child’s developmental concerns, assess needs & available resources, and refer families to services
- Educating Providers – educate professionals about developmental surveillance & screening while promoting access to services
- Building the Network – develop relationships within the community & maintain an accurate list of local resources
- Identifying Gaps & Barriers – collect and analyze data to identify needs and effectively connect families to resource
- HMG provides a free, confidential, centralized telephone access point that links every family in Alabama to a care coordinator that will answer questions and concerns about their child’s development, connect them with services in their community, and follow-up to ensure a connection is made.
- Promotes the use of a universal, valid, and evidenced based developmental screening tool in all early childhood settings, and provides technical assistance and support for providers implementing Help Me Grow in their programs.